What is healthier to eat, white rice or pasta?

Amy Campbell
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism

The answer is:  both white rice and white pasta are pretty much the same in terms of nutritional content. One third of a cup of cooked rice and cooked pasta (which is one carb serving) contains about the same amount of calories, carbohydrate, protein, fat, sodium and potassium. So, the choice is yours. However, white rice and white pasta are considered to be refined carbohydrates, because they've been stripped of their whole grain "goodness."  Refined grains may lead to more of a spike, or increase, in your blood glucose levels after eating them. You're better off choosing brown rice or whole grain pasta, which will give you slightly more calories, but a bit more fiber and the nutritional benefits of eating a whole grain food.

Continue Learning about Health Value Of Foods

More Good News for Chocolate Lovers
More Good News for Chocolate Lovers
I have an ongoing love affair with chocolate. It’s actually more of a love/hate relationship. Once I start eating chocolate, I just can’t stop. Needle...
What herbs and foods help the body eliminate toxins?
Maoshing Ni, PhD, LAcMaoshing Ni, PhD, LAc
Traditional herbs and foods that are used to help your body eliminate toxins include seaweed, bitter...
5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid
5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid
What's best to eat for your ticker? A heart doctor weighs in.
Better Eggs for Your Eyes
Better Eggs for Your Eyes