Is eating liver good for me?

Of all the organs in the gut, there aren't a whole lot that are actually turned to food. There's really no such thing as a stomach sandwich or cream of intestines soup or moo goo gai pancreas.

But there's one-the liver-that is. Not our own livers, mind you. But rather the livers of birds and mammals, which serve the basis for all kinds of internationally popular foods. There's liver and onions, not to mention liver pâté, foie gras, liver sashimi, Leberwurst, and chopped liver.

Why am I telling you this? It's not because I'm suggesting that you haven't lived until you've loved liver. While liver is actually a good source of nutrients, it has too many toxins for me to recommend (there's a sewer's amount of toxins in one ounce of foie gras).

Why? Because the chemicals that the liver can't transform, it stores as your toxic waste dump. Those bad PCBs that the cow munched or bird pecked on? They're stored in the liver, as is some of virtually every other toxin those animals were ever exposed to.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Health Value Of Foods

How Tomatoes Can Help Fight Cancer
How Tomatoes Can Help Fight Cancer
Whether it’s a thick juicy slice of beefsteak tomato, a puree into luscious pasta sauce, spicy salsa, or as an extract in your green drink, tomatoes a...
Are You So Over Oatmeal?
Are You So Over Oatmeal?
Have you had it with your morning oatmeal? Here are some reasons -- and ways -- to rekindle the love affair. First, consider this: A 13-year study re...
Why do I have to give up red meat to have a healthy diet?
Lona SandonLona Sandon
You do not have to give up red meat to have a healthy diet. In fact, red meat can be a nutritional p...
How can I tell if my diet is healthy?
Yogi Cameron AlborzianYogi Cameron Alborzian
In modern times, we have come to rely on what is written on the nutritional information label of a p...