Is eating liver good for me?

Of all the organs in the gut, there aren't a whole lot that are actually turned to food. There's really no such thing as a stomach sandwich or cream of intestines soup or moo goo gai pancreas.

But there's one-the liver-that is. Not our own livers, mind you. But rather the livers of birds and mammals, which serve the basis for all kinds of internationally popular foods. There's liver and onions, not to mention liver pâté, foie gras, liver sashimi, Leberwurst, and chopped liver.

Why am I telling you this? It's not because I'm suggesting that you haven't lived until you've loved liver. While liver is actually a good source of nutrients, it has too many toxins for me to recommend (there's a sewer's amount of toxins in one ounce of foie gras).

Why? Because the chemicals that the liver can't transform, it stores as your toxic waste dump. Those bad PCBs that the cow munched or bird pecked on? They're stored in the liver, as is some of virtually every other toxin those animals were ever exposed to.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...
Sharine Forbes
Allergy
Eating liver is good for a variety of reasons, for example, a serving of about 3oz contains almost 550% of the recommended daily allowance of Vitamin A. Additionally, it is rich in B vitamins, vitamin D and Iron. Essentially, eating 3oz of meat can prove to be very beneficial for people of all ages. People who suffer from anemia are often told to eat liver in order to increase the amount of Iron present in their body. 

Continue Learning about Health Value Of Foods

Health Value Of Foods

Health Value Of Foods

A healthy diet is rich in foods with high nutritional value, providing your body with the vitamins, minerals and other food nutrients it needs to protect against disease and maintain a healthy weight. To identify healthy foods, it...

's important to read nutrition labels and know the source of your food. Products advertised as whole-grain, organic or fortified may not necessarily be healthy for you. Find out how to get the most health value from various fruits, nuts, spices, oils and vegetables -- and learn which types of red meat and processed foods to avoid -- with expert advice from Sharecare.