What are the health benefits of eating turkey?

Turkey is the centerpiece of your Thanksgiving dinner -- and with leftovers, the days that follow. Cook it, carve it, and reap its many nutritional benefits.
  • Turkey is loaded with trytophan, a sleep-inducing amino acid. Trytophan affects melatonin, the sleep hormone that regulates and resets your internal clock.
  • Turkey is rich in potassium and loaded with zinc.
  • Lean turkey breasts fulfill more than half of most people's daily protein needs.
  • Niacin may help increase your HDL cholesterol, the good kind, while also helping to reduce your LDL cholesterol, the bad kind.
  • Turkey is an excellent source of B12, which helps prevent the buildup of homocysteine, an amino acid that may decrease cognitive function.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Health Value Of Foods

Dr. Oz Expert Reveals the Truth About Frozen Yogurt
As the temperatures rise, so does our desire for a refreshing, tasty treat. If you’re trying to be health-conscious and opt for a serving of frozen yo...
What Are the Health Benefits of Eating Adzuki Beans?
What Are the Healthiest Types of Mushroom?
Why Should I Eat Black Rice?
Why Should I Eat Black Rice?