What mind-body therapies are recommended for headaches?

Mind-body techniques such as meditation, relaxation strategies, yoga, hypnosis, stress management, and biofeedback, among others, seek to harness the power of the mind to aid in health and pain relief. These techniques are quite popular with Americans suffering from headache: nearly one in five uses some type of mind-body technique to alleviate the pain, and 40% of those who do find it very helpful.

A review article concluded that certain mind-body techniques offer effective headache relief. Based on the evidence, the authors recommend that a combination of relaxation techniques and thermal biofeedback be used for migraine, while relaxation techniques and muscle biofeedback be used for tension headache.

Continue Learning about Headache

Diet Tips for Headache Relief
Diet Tips for Headache Relief
Do your headaches make you feel like your head is about to explode? If so, you are not alone. Janet Jackson, Marcia Cross and Hugh Jackman all suffer ...
What can I expect from a visit to the doctor for my headaches?
Egilius L. Spierings, MDEgilius L. Spierings, MD
During a doctor's visit for your headaches, your physician will try to determine the causes of y...
What Your Headache Is Telling You
What Your Headache Is Telling YouWhat Your Headache Is Telling YouWhat Your Headache Is Telling YouWhat Your Headache Is Telling You
Chocolate, wine or sex could be to blame for your headaches.
What's the Proper Imaging for Migraines?