How do I use distraction to reduce a headache?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
You're more likely to keep your headache from becoming severe if you can distract your brain from focusing on pain signals. Unless your headache symptoms are severe, try to get involved in pleasant, distracting activities when your headache first begins, such as:
  • Go outside for a brisk walk or gentle swim.
  • Listen to soothing music.
  • Perform stretching exercises.
  • Use relaxation techniques.
  • Apply ice to your neck.
These distracting behaviors can often help keep a headache mild or help get rid of it faster than by lying in bed.
The Woman's Migraine Toolkit: Managing Your Headaches from Puberty to Menopause (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

Migraines are a common, controllable type of headache that affects one in every six women, more than 20 million in the United States alone. The Woman’s Migraine Toolkit helps readers take charge of...

Continue Learning about Headache

What Causes Headaches After Sex and Exercise?
Q. What could be giving me throbbing headaches when I have sex? I've also experienced this during the last few reps of a total weight workout. The pai...
What can I expect from a visit to the doctor for my headaches?
Egilius L. Spierings, MDEgilius L. Spierings, MD
During a doctor's visit for your headaches, your physician will try to determine the causes of y...
What Your Headache Is Telling You
What Your Headache Is Telling YouWhat Your Headache Is Telling YouWhat Your Headache Is Telling YouWhat Your Headache Is Telling You
Chocolate, wine or sex could be to blame for your headaches.
As You Look Into Future Treatment for Migraine, What Are you hoping for?