What ingredients are used in a depilatory?

Depilatories contain chemicals that break down the keratin (proteins) in your hair, dissolving them. Common chemical ingredients found in depilatories include sodium or calcium hydroxide, titanium dioxide, barium sulfide and calcium thioglycolate.

Continue Learning about Hair Removal

What is a bikini wax?
A traditional bikini wax involves using warm wax to remove hair around the pubic region, traditional...
What should I know before I get the MiraSmooth procedure?
Whitney Bowe, MDWhitney Bowe, MD
Before getting the MiraSmooth procedure, you should talk to your doctor about the recovery period, t...
Is it okay to use my husband's razor to shave my bikini line?
Don't be tempted to use your husband's razor! In this video, ob-gyn Dr. Lauren Streicher explain...
What should I be aware of when going to a salon for a bikini wax?
It's important to be aware of the things around you that could raise red flags regarding a salon's c...