What ingredients are used in a depilatory?

Depilatories contain chemicals that break down the keratin (proteins) in your hair, dissolving them. Common chemical ingredients found in depilatories include sodium or calcium hydroxide, titanium dioxide, barium sulfide and calcium thioglycolate.

Continue Learning about Hair Removal

How can I avoid over-tweezing my eyebrows?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
Over-tweezing is a common brow mistake and can make your eyebrows look scary and harsh. If you prefe...
Is laser hair removal safe?
Dr. Howard L. Brooks, MDDr. Howard L. Brooks, MD
Laser hair removal is safe and effective for most patients. The lasers used target pigment within th...
Is there another name for hair removal creams?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
They are also called depilatories. Olay just launched a new one that is effective and easy to use an...
What Is the Difference Between Laser Hair Removal and Electrolysis?