What is the rate of incidence for hair loss?

Pattern baldness is the type of hair loss that doctors most often see. It affects both men and women though it is more common in men. Pattern baldness, or androgenetic alopecia, can begin in the teens or twenties and becomes more noticeable with age for men. It affects about 35 million men in the United States. However, more than 50 percent of men over the age of 50 experience some degree of hair loss. In women, pattern baldness appears most often after menopause.

Continue Learning about Hair Loss

I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
Some shedding is perfectly normal. In fact, most people lose around 50 to 100 hairs every day. But nobody wants to lose more hair than that, and seein...
How does hair loss affect the body?
Healthy hair cycles through growing, transition, and resting phases. After the resting phase, a heal...
Will my hair regrow after hair loss from bariatric surgery?
Mark A. Salcone, DOMark A. Salcone, DO
After hair loss from bariatric surgery, in most cases hair will begin to regrow and return to its no...
How Much Hair Loss Is Too Much?
How Much Hair Loss Is Too Much?