What is the rate of incidence for hair loss?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Pattern baldness is the type of hair loss that doctors most often see. It affects both men and women though it is more common in men. Pattern baldness, or androgenetic alopecia, can begin in the teens or twenties and becomes more noticeable with age for men. It affects about 35 million men in the United States. However, more than 50 percent of men over the age of 50 experience some degree of hair loss. In women, pattern baldness appears most often after menopause.

Continue Learning about Hair Loss

What do I need to know about caring for someone with hair loss?
If you are caring for someone with excessive hair loss, you should be aware that the individual may ...
Can hair loss be a sign of illness?
Hair loss isn't just an appearance issue; it can be a sign that something wacky is going on elsewher...
Is hair loss serious?
Hair loss in itself is not considered serious, but it can indicate the presence of other diseases. I...
Does hair loss affect men and women differently?
Hair loss does affect men and women differently. Hair loss that is caused by heredity, or androgenet...