What increases my risk for hair loss?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Your risk for permanent hair loss is increased if someone else in your family loses their hair. If you take chemotherapy or some other kinds of drugs, you might be at increased risk for temporarily losing your hair. Women who have recently given birth often experience hair loss. People with thyroid problems, skin infections, or stress can also lose their hair.

Acute stress or anxiety can increase your risk for hair loss, as can the physical stress of having a major illness. Also, fluctuating hormone levels, such as changing estrogen/progesterone in women and testosterone in men, as well as hypothyroidism, can cause hair loss.

Certain medications may have a side effect of hair loss. These include some blood thinners, antidepressants, gout medications, oral contraceptives and blood pressure medications. Fungal infections of the scalp can also be a cause of hair loss. 

Continue Learning about Hair Loss

I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
Some shedding is perfectly normal. In fact, most people lose around 50 to 100 hairs every day. But nobody wants to lose more hair than that, and seein...
How can I tell if my hair is falling out?
Grab a group of hairs on your head (aim for about 60 -- or the amount that would fit through a straw...
Do hair loss treatments really work?
Scientists and doctors have been searching for centuries for effective tonics, elixirs and drugs to ...
How Can I Prevent My Hairline From Receding?