How can oral contraceptives affect hair loss in women?

Women who take oral contraceptives can experience hair loss. If you or someone in your family is sensitive to hormonal changes, you might be at increased risk for hair loss due to oral contraceptive use. Speak with your doctor if you notice hair loss. There are alternatives that you can take such as a low-androgen birth control pill.

Continue Learning about Hair Loss

I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
Some shedding is perfectly normal. In fact, most people lose around 50 to 100 hairs every day. But nobody wants to lose more hair than that, and seein...
How much hair loss is too much?
Are you always picking strands of hair off your sweater? Do you shed enough to clog the shower d...
How does hair loss affect the body?
Healthy hair cycles through growing, transition, and resting phases. After the resting phase, a heal...
How Can I Prevent My Hairline From Receding?