Can hair loss happen in kids, too?

Iris Rodriguez-Johnson, MD
Pediatrics
Hair loss or alopecia can happen in children. There are several causes of this condition. It is important to know whether the process is congenital or acquired or was the hair loss sudden or gradual. A history of temporary stress such as a preceding physical or psychological stress may temporarily upset the hair growth cycle. Examples of these are illnesses with high fever, surgical procedures, hospitalizations, birth of a sibling, divorce of parents, and death of a family member. Medications that the child may be taking may also cause hair loss. Family history is another reason.

Continue Learning about Hair Loss

I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
Some shedding is perfectly normal. In fact, most people lose around 50 to 100 hairs every day. But nobody wants to lose more hair than that, and seein...
How do I manage hair loss on a daily basis?
On a daily basis, you should treat your hair gently by letting it air dry when possible and avoiding...
What is hair loss?
Some hair loss is a naturally occurring process, but losing large amounts of hair is known as baldne...
How Much Hair Loss Is Too Much?
How Much Hair Loss Is Too Much?