How can I protect my children from dandruff?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Dandruff can result from a variety of factors such as excessive oil in the scalp, dry environment such as that which occurs in the winter with overheating, poor scalp hygiene, and poor diet. Take care to protect against these factors in your children. Dandruff occurs most frequently in infants under the age of three and in adults between the ages of 30 and 70. This disorder in infants is sometimes called "cradle cap." While it may be concerning to parents, this condition is not serious and typically resolves on its own during the first year of the child's life. Should dandruff develop in association with redness, swelling, liquid discharge, or fever, your child may require medical evaluation.

Continue Learning about Hair Diseases (Hair Disorders)

Uncombable Hair Syndrome—It’s a Real Thing
Besides a great sense of humor and a touch of brilliance, what does the 102-year-old comedian Professor Irwin Corey (“Without this great land of ours,...
Contending With Unwanted Hair Growth
Contending With Unwanted Hair Growth
In 1865, as a one-year-old, Annie Jones Elliot was put in PT Barnum’s sideshow as “The New Infant Esau.” (Easu in Hebrew means hairy). By age five, Th...
Are there side effects to the treatment of hair disorders?
The type of hair disorder that you are afflicted with would depend on the treatment you are receivin...
What might cause itchy, painful blisters on my head?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
The location and size of the blisters are important in diagnosing the cause.Blisters on the scalp ca...