Are lead acetates safe in hair dyes?

Lead acetate is used as a color additive in progressive hair dyes, the kinds of dyes that are combed into the hair to cover gray and darken the hair gradually. In studies, people who applied these hair dyes according to directions did not have increased levels of lead in their bloodstream and their bodies did not appear to absorb the lead. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) determined that these dyes were safe when instructions are followed carefully, but that every dye containing lead acetate should carry a label stating that the product contains lead acetate, that it should be kept out of children's reach, and that it should not be used on irritated skin, or on hair other than on the scalp. 

Lead acetate is used as a color additive in "progressive" hair dye products. These products are put on over a period of time to produce a gradual coloring effect. You can safely use these products if you follow the directions carefully. This warning statement must appear on the product labels of lead acetate hair dyes:

"Caution: Contains lead acetate. For external use only. Keep this product out of children's reach. Do not use on cut or abraded scalp. If skin irritation develops, discontinue use. Do not use to color mustaches, eyelashes, eyebrows, or hair on parts of the body other than the scalp. Do not get in eyes. Follow instructions carefully and wash hands thoroughly after use."

This answer is based on the source infromation from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about Hair Coloring

Is hair color safe?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
The decision to change your hair color may be a hard one. Some studies have linked hair dyes with a ...
Can coloring my hair damage my scalp?
Coloring your hair can irritate your scalp, especially if you are sensitive to certain ingredien...
Is It Safe to Dye My Hair While Pregnant?
Is It Safe to Dye My Hair While I am Pregnant?