How does bleaching affect my hair?

Bleaching uses harsh chemicals, which can be especially damaging to hair, drying it out or making it brittle. Dermatologists recommend using hair services such as bleaching on a limited basis, and using conditioner each time you shampoo. A conditioning hair care product cannot repair damaged hair, but it can increase shine, improve strength, decrease static electricity, and also help protect hair from harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays. 

Large terminal scalp hair shafts are composed of three distinct zones or parts - the medulla, the cortex, and the cuticle. The cuticle is an unpigmented, protective protein covering constructed in a sort of overlapping scale configuration. The cortex constitutes the majority of the hair shaft and contains the pigmenting that determines the color of the hair. In order to change hair color significantly, one's actual hair color must be neutralized so that the hair can be re-colored by hair dye of a chosen shade. A bleaching solution consists of an alkaline component that opens the cuticle and a bleaching component that irreversibly oxidizes the melanin pigment of the cortex, leaving the hair shaft the whitish to yellowish color of the keratin protein. The bleaching component is typically a hydrogen peroxide. In addition to stripping the cortex of pigment, this powerful oxidant interacts with the disulfide bonds within the keratin protein structure, weakening the structural composition of the hair shaft. Bleaching can be a damaging process to the hair and should be undertaken with care.

Bleached Blonde

Continue Learning about Hair Coloring

Can coloring, dyeing, or bleaching damage my hair?
Artificial coloring on your hair, whether you're bleaching it or coloring it, is the equivalent of a...
What's the safest way to color my hair?
A safe way to color your hair is to find a salon with experienced stylists who are familiar with...
Is It Safe to Dye My Hair While Pregnant?
Is It Safe to Dye My Hair While I am Pregnant?