How does bleaching affect my hair?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Large terminal scalp hair shafts are composed of three distinct zones or parts - the medulla, the cortex, and the cuticle. The cuticle is an unpigmented, protective protein covering constructed in a sort of overlapping scale configuration. The cortex constitutes the majority of the hair shaft and contains the pigmenting that determines the color of the hair. In order to change hair color significantly, one's actual hair color must be neutralized so that the hair can be re-colored by hair dye of a chosen shade. A bleaching solution consists of an alkaline component that opens the cuticle and a bleaching component that irreversibly oxidizes the melanin pigment of the cortex, leaving the hair shaft the whitish to yellowish color of the keratin protein. The bleaching component is typically a hydrogen peroxide. In addition to stripping the cortex of pigment, this powerful oxidant interacts with the disulfide bonds within the keratin protein structure, weakening the structural composition of the hair shaft. Bleaching can be a damaging process to the hair and should be undertaken with care.

Bleached Blonde

Continue Learning about Hair Coloring

Can coloring, dyeing, or bleaching damage my hair?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
Chemical processing, such as coloring, can harm your hair. Here’s how to minimize the damage. Semi-...
How can I hide grey hair between hair coloring appointments?
There's no way to keep grey away between appointments with your colorist (otherwise, she wouldn'...
Are lead acetates safe in hair dyes?
Riverside Women's HealthRiverside Women's Health
Lead acetate is used as a color additive in "progressive" hair dye products. These products are put ...
How can I have healthy hair if I use hair dye?
Although hair dyes can increase your risk for breakage, you can still have healthy, color-treate...