Can coloring my hair damage my scalp?

Coloring your hair can cause damage to your scalp if you're allergic to the dye.

Coloring your hair can irritate your scalp, especially if you are sensitive to certain ingredients. To avoid an allergic reaction, it's a good idea to do a patch test before using the dye on your hair.  Apply a little bit of the dye to the inside of your elbow or behind your ear and leave it there for two days. If you notice any skin reaction such as a rash, you don't want to use the dye on your hair or it will almost certainly irritate your scalp.

When you use hair dye, leave it on only as long as the directions indicate, and be sure to rinse your scalp well afterwards.

If you use a hair dye and it causes a reaction, don't use it again. Talk to a  dermatologist about the reaction.

Continue Learning about Hair Coloring

Are lead acetates safe in hair dyes?
Riverside Women's HealthRiverside Women's Health
Lead acetate is used as a color additive in "progressive" hair dye products. These products are put ...
Why does my hair color fade so fast?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
Water fades hair color. In fact, up to 80 percent of color fade is due to water alone. Your hair abs...
Is It Safe to Dye My Hair While Pregnant?
Is It Safe to Dye My Hair While I am Pregnant?