What causes hair to turn grey?

Howard L. Brooks, MD
Dermatology

Genes have a lot to do with how hair greys, but other factors can play a role as well, says dermatologist Dr. Howard Brooks. Find out what else can turn hair grey by watching the video.

Our natural hair color is composed of certain pigments. But, as Dr. Oz notes in this video, the loss of pigment as we age is responsible for gray hair -- sometimes at a young age.

Continue Learning about Hair & Beauty

5 Steps to Safer Body Hair Grooming
5 Steps to Safer Body Hair Grooming
In War for Planet of the Apes, Andy Serkis (the ape Ceaser) and Woody Harrelson (the Colonel) sport virtually the same coiffure. It seems both Ceaser ...
Do keratin hair-straightening treatments contain formaldehyde?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
In the wake of the Brazilian Blowout scandal that has many seeking alternative routes to achieve smo...
What's the best way to straighten my hair?
We recommend blow-drying your hair and flattening your curly locks with a flatiron. Brazilian Bl...
How Can I Use My Hair to Make Me Look Younger?