Is balayage a healthier way to highlight hair?

Balayage highlighting (pronounced Bah-lay-ah-je) is an even healthier way to highlight hair than traditional foils. Here’s why:

Fewer highlights: “By hand painting, I can create a more profound impact with fewer highlights; that’s why I believe it’s healthier for hair,” says L’Oréal Professionnel master colorist Eva Scrivo in her 2011 book “Eva Scrivo on Beauty."

Although balayage can be performed on any hair color, Scrivo particularly likes this process for imparting light beige and golden tones to darker hair -- especially if you’re looking to transition the tone (or go ombré). New color blends seamlessly without a harsh line of demarcation.

Safer root touch-ups: Cumbersome foils present a problem with root touch-ups. If the colorist doesn’t leave enough room between the roots to be touched-up and the previously colored locks, the bleach will expand under the heat created by the foils and seep into old color leading to breakage. It’s so common that professionals refer to such damage as a “chemical cut.”

Balayage is ideal for roots because the colorist can see exactly where the new hair growth begins and ends. “And because the formula is thicker than what’s required for foil highlights, the mixture is more likely to stay put,” Scrivo says.

Less heat: This technique also helps avert heat-related damage. “Aluminum foil conducts heat, almost baking the bleach into each strand and creating a very brassy effect,” Scrivo says in her Beauty Blog. Instead of processing hair underneath a heat lamp, this technique calls for a cotton ball to be placed underneath each painted section; then all the hair is covered in cling wrap to allow the dye to develop.

Continue Learning about Hair & Beauty

5 Steps to Safer Body Hair Grooming
5 Steps to Safer Body Hair Grooming
In War for Planet of the Apes, Andy Serkis (the ape Ceaser) and Woody Harrelson (the Colonel) sport virtually the same coiffure. It seems both Ceaser ...
How can I use my hair to make me look younger?
Common hair color mistakes can make you look washed out, dragged down -- old. In this video, cel...
Should a woman groom her pubic hair?
Good In BedGood In Bed
Many men and women have questions about pubic hair. The variety of grooming treatments available tod...
Create Beautiful, Defined Lashes
Create Beautiful, Defined Lashes