How can I prevent hair loss caused by braiding?

Tight twists and braids cause what’s known as tensile stress, which is basically a constant tugging on the hair follicle. Regular tensile stress can cause permanent hair loss, known as traction hair loss. For African-American women, tight twists and braids commonly lead to hair loss at the hairline, and in the middle of the scalp, a condition that’s even more likely among women who also have type 2 diabetes (though scientists aren’t sure why yet). The only way to prevent this type of hair loss is to chillax on the super-tight braids—give your hair follicles a chance to recover.

Continue Learning about Hair & Beauty

5 Steps to Safer Body Hair Grooming
5 Steps to Safer Body Hair Grooming
In War for Planet of the Apes, Andy Serkis (the ape Ceaser) and Woody Harrelson (the Colonel) sport virtually the same coiffure. It seems both Ceaser ...
Are curlers better than a curling iron?
Curling irons are safer than the curlers we used in the 1950s. Learn more in this video with Dr....
Why is my hair so limp?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
Flat hair with no body or bounce is usually a fine-haired gal’s problem, because the extra oil gland...
Two Effective Thinning Hair Treatments
Two Effective Thinning Hair Treatments