Should I wash my hair every day?

Most of us treat shampoo as if it's toothpaste for our head - we've got to use it every day. But that doesn't have to be the case. If you prefer, you can actually wash your hair with shampoo every other day, and just rinse it on alternate days (unless you have really long hair or are exposed to a lot of dirt and vapors throughout the day). Some people find that their hair has just as much body and shine without shampooing every day (and they like the fact that they can take a break from putting additional chemicals on their head). On the other hand, if shampooing is a Zen experience for you, its calming benefits may well do more for you than its hair stripping effects, so we can't argue with daily shampoos (you can use conditioner alone).
Honestly, unless you've been working under your car for a few hours, you can choose to wash your hair every two or three days. On other days, just rinse and massage your scalp with plain water. Using only water half the days may help your hair's health, longevity as well as shine and appearance. Conditioners, on the other hand, do seal in moisture, so they can be helpful. Apply conditioner daily and don't bother washing it out if you don't want to.
Ideally, use an all-natural pH-balanced shampoo that's gentle; remember, just because it's natural doesn't mean it's always the best. We love shampoos from these makers: Aubrey Organics, Quinessence, SoOrganic, Avalon Organics and Organic Excellence.

YOU: Being Beautiful: The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Hair & Beauty

Do keratin hair-straightening treatments contain formaldehyde?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
In the wake of the Brazilian Blowout scandal that has many seeking alternative routes to achieve smo...
How should I wash my hair?
For perfect hair maintenance, I recommend (and follow myself) this three-step process: Step 1: Shamp...
Does the use of curlers and curling irons damage my hair?
Electrically heated hair curlers and curling irons have been in use for a significant time. They are...
Which treatments are safe to get at a medi spa?
Paul S. Nassif, MDPaul S. Nassif, MD
The treatments that are safe to get at a medi spa include nail, hair and some facial treatments; cos...