Should I wash my hair every day?

You should wash your hair as often as your hair type and personal activities require. For example, if you work out or perspire daily, you should wash your hair daily. If you have especially oily hair, you should also wash your hair every day. (Normally, straighter hair gets oily more quickly.) However, if you have very thick, dry, or curly hair, you may not need to wash your hair every day.

When you wash your hair, and especially if you are washing your hair daily, use a small amount of shampoo and be sure to rinse out all the suds. Dermatologists recommend using a conditioner each time you shampoo, so if you are shampooing daily, be sure your conditioner isn't too heavy for your type of hair.

By practicing good hair care on a daily basis, you will be able to keep your hair healthy and strong.

Most of us treat shampoo as if it's toothpaste for our head - we've got to use it every day. But that doesn't have to be the case. If you prefer, you can actually wash your hair with shampoo every other day, and just rinse it on alternate days (unless you have really long hair or are exposed to a lot of dirt and vapors throughout the day). Some people find that their hair has just as much body and shine without shampooing every day (and they like the fact that they can take a break from putting additional chemicals on their head). On the other hand, if shampooing is a Zen experience for you, its calming benefits may well do more for you than its hair stripping effects, so we can't argue with daily shampoos (you can use conditioner alone).
Honestly, unless you've been working under your car for a few hours, you can choose to wash your hair every two or three days. On other days, just rinse and massage your scalp with plain water. Using only water half the days may help your hair's health, longevity as well as shine and appearance. Conditioners, on the other hand, do seal in moisture, so they can be helpful. Apply conditioner daily and don't bother washing it out if you don't want to.
Ideally, use an all-natural pH-balanced shampoo that's gentle; remember, just because it's natural doesn't mean it's always the best. We love shampoos from these makers: Aubrey Organics, Quinessence, SoOrganic, Avalon Organics and Organic Excellence.

YOU: Being Beautiful: The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Hair & Beauty

5 Steps to Safer Body Hair Grooming
5 Steps to Safer Body Hair Grooming
In War for Planet of the Apes, Andy Serkis (the ape Ceaser) and Woody Harrelson (the Colonel) sport virtually the same coiffure. It seems both Ceaser ...
How is brushing good for my hair?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
There are three cycles of hair growth: growth, shedding and resting. If you’re not brushing your hai...
What can I do to make my hair look younger and healthier?
Like the skin, the hair can reveal a lot about your overall health. Learn more about remedies fo...
How to Make Your Own All-Natural Hair Mask