Can hair dryers damage my hair?

Today's commercially available hair dryers are relatively safe to use on one's hair. However, any mechanical manipulation of the hair does introduce risk for damage to the hair. A few simple guidelines can help minimize the likelihood of damaging your hair through the use of a hair dryer. When drying your hair with handheld hair dryer, you should continuously move the device so that the temperature does not build up in any one place. Temperatures above 300 degrees Fahrenheit irreversibly damage hair fibers. Wet hair is more fragile than dry hair, so manipulate your hair gently while using the dryer. Also, do not dry your hair completely with the dryer, but rather let the last bit of moisture dry naturally. This minimizes the risk of damaging your hair through over drying it.

Continue Learning about Hair & Beauty

Should I use a shampoo for color-treated hair if I dye my hair?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
The kinds of cleansing agents dropped into color-treated and sulfate-free shampoo formulas typically...
What is the best type of styling product to use on my hair?
Today's styling products are available in a variety of preparations from an array of manufacturers. ...
How can I make my hair smoother and less frizzy?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
To make your hair smoother and less frizzy, Amy McMichael, MD, chair of the Department of Dermatolog...
How to Create Perfectly Shaped Eyebrows
How to Create Perfectly Shaped Eyebrows