Who should not get endometrial ablation?

Renee E. Cotter, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Women who wish to have children shouldn't undergo an endometrial ablation. In this video, Renee Cotter, MD, of West Hills Hospital, gives a few examples of women who may want to avoid this procedure. 
Endometrial ablation is the process that destroys the lining of the uterus to eliminate periods. Endometrial ablation works by putting a tissue-destroying device into the uterine cavity through the cervical opening. I perform ablation in my office in less than 15 minutes and my patients generally return to work the next day. But endometrial ablation is not for everyone. Women who desire pregnancy obviously should not destroy the lining of their uterus. For women with large fibroids, adenomyosis, or an irregularly shaped uterine cavity, the treatment is often ineffective. An ablation should never be performed if there is cancer, pre-cancer or a high risk of uterine cancer. If there is any question as to the cause of the bleeding, the treatment should not be done.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

My Pap Smear Was Abnormal. Should I Be Worried?
A Pap smear, a test that screens for cervical cancer, may not be the most dignified medical test for a woman—even peeing on a stick to see if you’re p...
What is the COEMIG designation?
Errick Y. Arroyo, MDErrick Y. Arroyo, MD
COEMIG stands for Center of Excellence for Minimally Invasive Gynecology. In this video, OB/GYN Erri...
12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing
12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing
Skipping annual appointments, self-treating symptoms and other gyno no-nos.
What Is a Single-Site Robotic Hysterectomy?