What is single-port hysterectomy?

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
A single-port hysterectomy is a very new procedure in which the cervix and uterus are all removed with just one small incision in the bellybutton. This is a procedure that I have become very familiar with and I perform routinely. The reason I like this procedure is that all 3 instruments are able to be placed through one "port" in the bellybutton and the entire uterus and cervix are detached laparoscopically. The cervix and uterus are then pulled through the vagina and removed, and then the back of the vagina is closed laparoscopically. There is just a small incision that can be hidden in the bellybutton and is cosmetically pleasing to the patient. The other reasons I like this procedure is that the patient's recovery time is usually not much more than a week. There is very minimal bleeding after the procedure. If you are considering a hysterectomy in the near future, I would discuss this with your doctor and see if you are a good candidate for this procedure and see if he or she feels comfortable performing this operation.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

The Truth About Hysterectomies
The Truth About Hysterectomies
Roughly one in nine women in the U.S. will have a hysterectomy, or surgery to remove the uterus, at some point in their lifetime. A healthcare provide...
What is the treatment for premenstrual syndrome (PMS)?
Fluctuating progesterone levels during premenstrual syndrome or PMS cause your hormones and your moo...
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
From recovery time to your post-surgery sex life, we’re debunking some of the common misconceptions.
Do I Need an Annual Check-Up?
Do I Need an Annual Check-Up?