Why would the doctor leave the ovaries after a hysterectomy?

Hugo D. Ribot Jr., MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
There is now a significant body of literature from the WHI (Women's Health Initiative) and other prospective trials which shows consistently that cardiovsacular disease in the menopause years is significantly more prevalent in women who have their ovaries removed at the time of hysterectomy.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

Everything a Gynecologist Wants You to Know About Endometriosis
It’s estimated that more than 6.5 million women in the United States are affected by endometriosis. The chronic condition occurs when tissue similar t...
Why do my fingernails change around the time I get my period?
Menstruation, or periods, can affect the fingernails. In this video, Dr. Oz explains the link be...
6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears
6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears
Beyond just sexual and reproductive health issues, your OB can work with you on the health of your bones, heart and more.
What Is Douching?
What Is Douching?