Question

Gynecology

How soon after having a hysterectomy can I have sex?

• A , Gynecology, answered
    Intercourse the day after hysterectomy surgery would have catastrophic results. Until your gynecologist informs you that healing is complete, the vagina is a no-fly zone. Even if your cervix was not removed, vaginal thrusting could disrupt healing tissue in the pelvis and potentially cause internal bleeding, which is why it’s best to refrain from intercourse for at least 4 to 6 weeks.
  • A OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology), answered on behalf of
    How soon can I have sex after hysterectomy?
    How soon you can resume having sex after hysterectomy depends on the type of hysterectomy you have. In this video, Rodolfo Saenz, MD, an OB/GYN at Riverside Community Hospital, discusses how much time may be needed to resume sex after hysterectomy.
  • A , OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology), answered
    How Soon After Having a Hysterectomy Can a Woman Have Sex?
    Sex after a hysterectomy depends on the type of procedure a woman undergoes. Renee Cotter, MD, of West Hills Hospital, explains the recovery times for the different procedures in this video. 
    While the desire may be there -- and that's a good thing -- you would be wise to hold off, says OB/GYN Karin Stanton, DO, from Brandon Regional Hospital. See her recommendation for how long to wait before having sex.
How should I deal with pain after a hysterectomy?