Question

Gynecology

How soon after having a hysterectomy can I have sex?

• A Dr Lauren Streicher, MD, Gynecology, answered
    Intercourse the day after hysterectomy surgery would have catastrophic results. Until your gynecologist informs you that healing is complete, the vagina is a no-fly zone. Even if your cervix was not removed, vaginal thrusting could disrupt healing tissue in the pelvis and potentially cause internal bleeding, which is why it’s best to refrain from intercourse for at least 4 to 6 weeks.
  • A Dr Renee Cotter, MD, OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology), answered
    How Soon After Having a Hysterectomy Can a Woman Have Sex?
    Sex after a hysterectomy depends on the type of procedure a woman undergoes. Renee Cotter, MD, of West Hills Hospital, explains the recovery times for the different procedures in this video. 
How should I deal with pain after a hysterectomy?