How invasive is a hysterectomy?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing
A hysterectomy is the surgical removal of the uterus. A hysterectomy may be needed for many reasons, from endometriosis to uterine cancer. In many cases of uterine cancer, the fallopian tubes, ovaries, and pelvic lymph nodes are also removed during a hysterectomy in order to prevent the cancer from spreading. Because a hysterectomy is major surgery, it requires a hospital stay. Recovery can time can range from several weeks to over a month.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

Tell Me Why I Poop So Much During My Period
As if the cramps, bloating, mood swings, exhaustion and increased appetite during premenstrual syndrome (PMS) weren’t bad enough, your tummy may get o...
What could cause me to get dizzy before my menstrual period?
Dr. Aparna Sridhar, MDDr. Aparna Sridhar, MD
This could be a premenstrual symptom. Some women have a complex interaction of hormonal variation an...
Why do I need to see an OBGYN when I'm in my 30s?
Johnston-Willis Hospital - HCA VirginiaJohnston-Willis Hospital - HCA Virginia
It is important to see an obstetrician/gynecologist (OBGYN) when you are in your 30s. Your OBGYN wil...
Who Is a Candidate for Single-Site Robotic Hysterectomy?