How invasive is a hysterectomy?

A hysterectomy is the surgical removal of the uterus. A hysterectomy may be needed for many reasons, from endometriosis to uterine cancer. In many cases of uterine cancer, the fallopian tubes, ovaries, and pelvic lymph nodes are also removed during a hysterectomy in order to prevent the cancer from spreading. Because a hysterectomy is major surgery, it requires a hospital stay. Recovery can time can range from several weeks to over a month.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

My Pap Smear Was Abnormal. Should I Be Worried?
A Pap smear, a test that screens for cervical cancer, may not be the most dignified medical test for a woman—even peeing on a stick to see if you’re p...
What is the rate of incidence for uterine prolapse?
Johnston-Willis Hospital - HCA VirginiaJohnston-Willis Hospital - HCA Virginia
Pelvic organ prolapse is very frequent; one out of nine women will need a surgery to repair her uter...
12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing
12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing
Skipping annual appointments, self-treating symptoms and other gyno no-nos.
What Are the Most Common Sexual Health Concerns Among Your Patients?