What should I be looking for in a gym environment?

One of the first things you should look for in a gym environment is personal comfort. Are you happy there? Does the environment feel welcoming and conducive to getting a great workout? If it doesn't I would suggest shopping around until you find a place that feels right to you. Some people thrive in a huge facility with lots of machines, activity and people while others feel much better in a smaller type of place. Other important things to look for are a well trained staff and functional fitness equipment that is properly maintained. In addition, you may want to find a gym that offers amenities that will be helpful to your workout such as free water, towel service and equipment demonstrations. The right gym environment will vary from person to person so it's worth the effort to find a place where you feel great about yourself and your workouts.
Kathy Shain
Fitness

A good gym environment should have a well trained staff that offers orientation on all equipment and a trained staff member to help you out with any of your questions. Also, good functional equipment should be available to club members such as cable machines, balance equipment, foam rollers- to name just a few. In addition a clean environment is also important. Is the gym cleaned often, is there hand sanitizer, and bottles of cleaners for members to clean their machine after use.

A gym environment should be comfortable, motivating, and nonjudgmental. Many gyms offer trial memberships that can serve as a beneficial tool to get a sense of the gym environment. Many gyms pick a specific type of client they cater to such as bodybuilders, families, or athletes. The gym you ultimately pick should feel like a safe haven and give you the feeling of belonging to a larger community. Just remember, not all gyms are created equal!
A gym should feel comfortable. All of the staff should be friendly and able to answer your questions. A good gym should have staff who can talk to you about what you are interested in and work with you to meet your needs. Gyms or health care centers should have several options of activities beyond the traditional cardio and strength equipment.

Continue Learning about Gyms/Health Clubs

What is the first thing I should do when I get to the gym?
Dr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhDDr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhD
The first thing you should do when you get to the gym is to get a tour of the facility and gain an u...
What is the salary of a health club employee?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
What feels better than getting to the gym regularly and completing a tough but fun workout? Getting ...
How to Choose a Gym
How to Choose a Gym
For a Better Workout, Avoid These Exercise Mistakes