How long does someone with Guillain-Barre syndrome live?

Guillain-Barre syndrome is an aggressive disease that requires immediate medical attention to monitor progress. In the most acute phase, numbness can spread to the muscles near the lungs and heart and can lead to paralysis. If treatment is begun early, the risk of complications decreases. Less than 1% of people with Guillain-Barre syndrome experience complications, and even fewer die. Once Guillain-Barre syndrome goes into remission, life-expectancy doesn't seem to be affected.

Continue Learning about Guillain-Barre Syndrome (GBS)

Should I talk to my doctor about Guillain-Barre syndrome?
If you experience any of the symptoms of Guillain-Barre syndrome, you should call your doctor. Tingl...
What is the prognosis for someone with Guillain-Barre syndrome?
The lasting effects of Guillain-Barre syndrome vary widely. For some the symptoms resolve within wee...
Is Guillain-Barré syndrome associated with the flu vaccine?
Dr. Carmen Patrick Mohan, MDDr. Carmen Patrick Mohan, MD
Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS) is a rare peripheral nerve disorder that can cause paralysis and in se...
How do medications treat Guillain-Barre syndrome?
Darshan N. Shah, MDDarshan N. Shah, MD
Medications, specifically IVIG and plasmapheresis, treat GBS by removing the harmful antibodies whic...