How long does someone with Guillain-Barre syndrome live?

Guillain-Barre syndrome is an aggressive disease that requires immediate medical attention to monitor progress. In the most acute phase, numbness can spread to the muscles near the lungs and heart and can lead to paralysis. If treatment is begun early, the risk of complications decreases. Less than 1% of people with Guillain-Barre syndrome experience complications, and even fewer die. Once Guillain-Barre syndrome goes into remission, life-expectancy doesn't seem to be affected.

Continue Learning about Guillain-Barre Syndrome (GBS)

What is Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS)?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Guillain-Barre syndrome (GBS) is an acute autoimmune disease usually triggered by a recent, uncompli...
How do medications treat Guillain-Barre syndrome?
Although corticosteroids have been tested as a treatment option for Guillain-Barre syndrome, they ha...
Should I talk to my doctor about Guillain-Barre syndrome?
If you experience any of the symptoms of Guillain-Barre syndrome, you should call your doctor. Tingl...
What is the long-term outlook for Guillain-Barre syndrome patients?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Guillain-Barre syndrome can be a devastating disorder because of its sudden and unexpected onset. In...