Does Guillain-Barre syndrome run in families?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Guillain-Barre syndrome is an acute autoimmune disorder in which the body attacks the lining of the nerves. Guillain-Barre syndrome is not hereditary and you cannot catch it from someone else. No one knows what causes the disease, but it does not appear to run in families.

Continue Learning about Guillain-Barre Syndrome (GBS)

Should I talk to my doctor about Guillain-Barre syndrome?
If you experience any of the symptoms of Guillain-Barre syndrome, you should call your doctor. Tingl...
How do medications treat Guillain-Barre syndrome?
Although corticosteroids have been tested as a treatment option for Guillain-Barre syndrome, they ha...
What is the long-term outlook for Guillain-Barre syndrome patients?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Guillain-Barre syndrome can be a devastating disorder because of its sudden and unexpected onset. In...
What is Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS)?
Guillain-Barre syndrome is a fairly uncommon disorder in which the lining, or myelin sheath, that su...