Why is dealing with the death of a pet so challenging?

There is no doubt that the death of a pet can be a devastating loss for the pet's family. At the same time, the grieving process can be particularly hard because others may not sympathize or understand the owner's sense of loss because, after all, it is "just a pet."

For those losing a pet, however, experts advise the bereaved to work through their grief in much the same way as those who have experienced a more socially "acceptable" loss.

Some psychologists even recommend a memorial service be held to help the bereaved find closure and make peace.

Continue Learning about Grief & Emotional Health

How to Handle Your Grief During the Holidays
The holidays should be a time of tremendous joy. But when you’ve experienced a loss—especially if that loss is recent—the season can bring painful fee...
How can I help a grieving friend move on?
Michael E. Hirsch, MDMichael E. Hirsch, MD
Avoid judgments. Your friend's life and emotional landscape have changed enormously, possibly foreve...
What should I write in a note to a grieving friend?
If you had a relationship with the deceased, try to include a warm, caring, or funny anecdote th...
Joely Fisher Opens Up About Her Sister Carrie