How much time should it take a person to get over the loss of a loved one?

Docs are taught that the normal time period for mourning the loss of a loved one is six months to a year after the death. So it may be natural to experience depressive symptoms during that time. But I want to make it clear that you should never feel pressure to shake the pain after a certain time period. Illusions are also a part of normal grief. An illusion is a misperception of actual external stimuli. Delusions or hallucinations are never normal. The key is getting to the point where you can decide whether the discomfort is enough to carry on with other aspects of your life. That takes many people one to six months, but it takes others longer. Don't hesitate to seek help.

You: Being Beautiful - The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Grief & Emotional Health

6 Ways Grief Affects Your Health
6 Ways Grief Affects Your Health
If you've ever experienced the loss of a loved one, you've likely confronted a period of grief and mourning in the days, weeks and months following th...
How do people grieve?
Michael E. Hirsch, MDMichael E. Hirsch, MD
Some experts observe that reactions to loss differ depending on a variety of circumstances: how ...
How can I avoid risky behaviors if I am grieving?
Dangerous coping strategies—such as drinking too much alcohol (more than one drink a day for wom...
What Does Death Feel Like?
What Does Death Feel Like?