How can I help a grieving friend move on?

Avoid judgments. Your friend's life and emotional landscape have changed enormously, possibly forever. You may wish he or she would move on, but you can't speed the process or even ensure that it happens. Let your friend heal at the pace that feels right. Understand that there will be good moments and bad moments. Accept the path he or she chooses rather than insisting on a display of particular emotions. "You should cry" or "It's time to move on" aren't really helpful directions.

Continue Learning about Grief & Emotional Health

6 Ways Grief Affects Your Health
6 Ways Grief Affects Your Health
If you've ever experienced the loss of a loved one, you've likely confronted a period of grief and mourning in the days, weeks and months following th...
How is emotional trauma diagnosed?
Diagnosis of emotional trauma involves a series of screening questions used to determine the history...
How can I comfort a grieving friend through phone calls?
Michael E. Hirsch, MDMichael E. Hirsch, MD
Call to express your sympathy. Try to steer clear of such phrases as "It's God's will" or "It's ...
Who Do You See Before You Die?
Who Do You See Before You Die?