How can I cope with denial if I am grieving?

Often it's easier to recognize denial in others than in ourselves. If you think denial might be interfering with the grieving process of someone you care about—or if denial is hobbling your ability to move forward—the following suggestions may prove helpful. Remember, though, to be patient with the grieving person or yourself and understand that denial can be protective and useful.
  • Acknowledge it. Sometimes denial offers a safe haven or a much-needed break. Distraction has a place in grief. Some bereavement experts note that when you're ready to learn more, explore more, or do more, you will. Sometimes accepting rather than pushing against denial allows other feelings to surface.
  • Explore it. Writing out your feelings may help you move forward if you feel stuck. If you can't seem to shake persistent numbness or a sense of disbelief, consider seeking help.

Continue Learning about Grief & Emotional Health

Change, Loss, and Grief: Are Your Reactions Unhealthy?
Most people think of the grieving process as something experienced only after the death of a loved one. But we grieve for many reasons -- be it the lo...
How can I handle the anger of a grieving person?
Michael E. Hirsch, MDMichael E. Hirsch, MD
Handle anger gently. People who are grieving sometimes direct angry feelings toward the closest ...
What are some warning signs that I should seek help for my grief?
G R. Smith, MDG R. Smith, MD
Some warning signs that someone should seek help for grief include persistent sadness, sleeplessness...
Facing Grief and Healing Together
Facing Grief and Healing Together