When should I have eyelid surgery for Graves' disease?

It is best to have eyelid surgery for Graves' disease once the disease is stable. That means your eyes are not getting worse or changing over a six-month period. First you should get eye socket surgery for bulging, if needed, followed by eye muscle surgery to correct double vision as well. You should get eyelid surgery last after the eye socket or eye muscles are taken care of. Eyelid surgery at the same time as orbital decompression or eye muscle surgery is not recommended.

Continue Learning about Graves' Disease

What is the treatment for Graves disease?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
There are three treatments for Graves 'disease:•Medicine. There are some medicines called antithyroi...
How is Graves' disease diagnosed?
Doctors can sometimes diagnose Graves' disease only on the basis of a physical examination and a med...
Who should consider having surgery for Graves’ disease?
American Association of Endocrine SurgeonsAmerican Association of Endocrine Surgeons
Surgery for Graves’ disease involves the removal of the entire thyroid gland by a total thyroidectom...
What kind of doctor will I see for Graves' disease?
Presbyterian/St. Luke's Medical CenterPresbyterian/St. Luke's Medical Center
You may see several kinds of doctors for Graves' disease, including the following:  Endocrinologi...