How do I know if I have Graves disease?

Your doctor will do a simple blood test that will be able to tell if your body has the right amount of thyroid hormones. This test measures the thyroid hormones Free T4 and TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) to find out if the levels are in the normal range.

There are other tests that your doctor may choose to do, such as blood tests to find out if levels of the thyroid hormones Free T4 and Free T3 are in the normal range. Your doctor also may test how much iodine the thyroid gland can collect and take a scan, or picture, to see how the iodine moves throughout the gland. This test can be helpful in finding out the cause of and treatment for the disease.

Another test, called a Thyroid Stimulating Immunogobulin (TSI), might be used if your doctor is unsure about whether you have the disease, or for patients who have a Graves' disease eye disorder but normal thyroid function. It can also be used to check a Graves' disease patient's response to treatment. TSI is also measured in pregnant women who have hyperthyroidism to diagnose Graves' disease and to assess the risk to the baby.

This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about Graves' Disease

Will I go blind from Graves' disease?
Presbyterian/St. Luke's Medical CenterPresbyterian/St. Luke's Medical Center
Your chances of going blind from Graves' disease are very small. The chances of having optic nerve p...
What could happen if Graves disease is left untreated?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
If left untreated, Graves disease can lead to heart problems and problems in pregnancy, and an incre...
How is hyperthyroidism treated?
Hyperthyroidism treatment is usually determined by the cause of the increased thyroid hormone. Peopl...
How will Graves' disease affect my lifestyle?
If you have Graves' disease it should not affect your lifestyle, unless you smoke. Smoking will make...