What do I need to know about caring for someone with gout?

When symptoms flare up, affected joints can be very painful to move and to touch. Ice can be helpful in reducing swelling as well as a prescribed anti-inflammatory or over-the-counter ibuprofen. Symptoms usually begin to subside after 24 hours. Talk to your loved one's doctor to discuss the best treatment options for their condition.

Continue Learning about Gout

The Real Facts About Pseudo-Gout
The Real Facts About Pseudo-Gout
There are pseudo-kudos (“My, that’s a nice jacket. What street did you pick that up on?”), pseudo-musicians (“It must be heavy-lifting carrying that t...
Who is affected by gout?
William J. Martin, MDWilliam J. Martin, MD
About 15% of the population gets gout, and it’s more common in men than women. Premenopausal women a...
What is gout?
Stephen Soloway, MDStephen Soloway, MD
Gout, also called gouty arthritis, is a condition where a chronically-elevated uric acid in a geneti...
Got Gout? Here's How to Find Relief
Got Gout? Here's How to Find Relief