What do I need to know about caring for someone with gout?

When symptoms flare up, affected joints can be very painful to move and to touch. Ice can be helpful in reducing swelling as well as a prescribed anti-inflammatory or over-the-counter ibuprofen. Symptoms usually begin to subside after 24 hours. Talk to your loved one's doctor to discuss the best treatment options for their condition.

Continue Learning about Gout

The Real Facts About Pseudo-Gout
The Real Facts About Pseudo-Gout
There are pseudo-kudos (“My, that’s a nice jacket. What street did you pick that up on?”), pseudo-musicians (“It must be heavy-lifting carrying that t...
When should I call my doctor if I have gout?
If you're having an attack of gout, it is best to see your doctor right away so that he or she may e...
How can gout attacks be prevented?
William J. Martin, MDWilliam J. Martin, MD
Treatment for hyperuricemia (high uric acid level) to prevent gout attacks aims to block the formati...
Got Gout? Here's How to Find Relief
Got Gout? Here's How to Find Relief