What medications can increase my risk of developing gout?

Medications used to treat hypertension called thiazide diuretics may cause increased levels of uric acid in the blood. Aspirin in large doses can also reduce the effectiveness of drugs used to treat gout. Talk to your doctor about any medications you are currently taking to avoid any complications.

Continue Learning about Gout Causes & Risks

What causes gout?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Uric acid, which causes gout when it builds up in the blood, comes from the breakdown of purines, na...
Can damage to my joints caused by gout be reversed?
Unfortunately, damage to your joints cannot be reversed. However, with treatment, any additional dam...
Got Gout? Here's How to Find Relief
Got Gout? Here's How to Find Relief
What to Do About Gout
What to Do About Gout