What medications can increase my risk of developing gout?

Medications used to treat hypertension called thiazide diuretics may cause increased levels of uric acid in the blood. Aspirin in large doses can also reduce the effectiveness of drugs used to treat gout. Talk to your doctor about any medications you are currently taking to avoid any complications.

Continue Learning about Gout Causes & Risks

What increases my risk of developing gout?
Many people with gout have a family history of the condition. Although gout is more common in men th...
What are tophi?
William J. Martin, MDWilliam J. Martin, MD
If gout is left untreated, tophi (masses of solid uric acid) begin to form in the affected areas. Fr...
What to Do About Gout
What to Do About Gout
Got Gout? Here's How to Find Relief
Got Gout? Here's How to Find Relief