What type of cardiovascular training improves stamina on the golf course?

Swimming is often over looked as a viable means for training the cardiovascular system for golfers. There is less damage done to the hip and knee complexes because of the reduction of impact trauma caused by running/jogging. In addition, the hip complex tends to tighten up and most runners are quad dominant. We like to see golfer back of the body stronger than the front. The next time you want to really work the cardio system jump in the pool and swim some sprints or distance.  
30 minutes per day, 5 days per week of moderate cardiovascular activity is the average I prescribe to my golfers. The type of exercise is unique to each individual based on their assessment. I tend to stay away from high impact exercise for my older clientele as the potential for injury goes up.
Good suggestions would be a brisk walk, swimming or cycling. Key to stretch following any exercise to maintain flexibility. 
Your cardiovascular training program will require an average of 20 to 45 minutes of moderate activity, three to five days a week. Training activities such as walking, bicycling, jogging, and using cardio machines will accomplish this sufficiently. Once you have established your cardio golf fitness training program, just be consistent. Being physically fit allows a golfer to walk and play 18 holes of golf, recreational or tournament, without becoming fatigued. This stamina allows the golfer to stay physically and mentally focused throughout the round.

Continue Learning about Golf

What are some golf specific movements for my dynamic warm-up?
Mr. Keith Elmore, NASM Elite TrainerMr. Keith Elmore, NASM Elite Trainer
I love a reverse lunge with reach. If you perform a reverse lunge with your left leg behind, you wil...
What exercises increase shoulder strength for golfers?
Strength training should include isolated exercises for rotator cuff strength and scapular stabi...
What Stretches Can Golfers Do to Improve Hamstring Flexibility?
Exercises to Improve the Power of Your Golf Swing