Should I take a specific glucosamine and chondroitin supplement?

Glucosamine/chondroitin supplements, usually sold to treat painful arthritis, are dietary supplements, which are only lightly regulated by the federal government.

You need to rely on the manufacturer to make sure the product is safe and effective. There are no rules that can guide you to the best product, but it's best to stick with brand names you know. You need to find a manufacturer that you can trust, do some research, read the label carefully, and talk to your doctor before taking any complementary or alternative medicines.

You may want to check out reports from a company such as ConsumerLab.com, which tests how much active ingredient is in popular supplements from different manufacturers.

Continue Learning about Glucosamine

Does glucosamine cause tingling in hands and feet?
There seems to be little evidence that glucosamine causes tingling in the hands and feet. In a l...
How does glucosamine treat chronic venous insufficiency?
Chronic venous insufficiency is a condition in which the veins do not effectively return blood from ...
What should I avoid while taking glucosamine?
There is no need to avoid certain foods, beverages, or activities while taking glucosamine.If you ar...
What drugs and foods interact with glucosamine?
Glucosamine supplements can interact with several drugs, increasing or decreasing their effectiv...