What is glosso-pharyngeal neuralgia in multiple sclerosis (MS)?

Neuralgias, or nerve pains, are among the more common of the rare multiple sclerosis (MS) symptoms. One type of nerve pain is called glosso-pharyngeal neuralgia. Resulting from damage to a cranial nerve, it is experienced as a severe pain in the tongue, throat, ear and/or tonsils. Episodes last from a few seconds to a few minutes. It may be triggered by chewing, laughing, swallowing, speaking or coughing.

Continue Learning about Glossopharyngeal Neuralgia

How is glossopharyngeal neuralgia diagnosed?
The pain of glossopharyngeal neuralgia typically makes the condition easy to diagnose. If contact wi...
What is glossopharyngeal neuralgia?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Glossopharyngeal neuralgia involves a separate nerve that provides sensation to the inside of the ea...
Should I see a doctor about my glossopharyngeal neuralgia symptoms?
If you believe you are experiencing symptoms of glossopharyngeal neuralgia, it is a good idea to see...
Can glossopharyngeal neuralgia be prevented?
You cannot prevent glossopharyngeal neuralgia. The cause cannot always be determined. Even when it c...