How do I manage my gingivitis on a daily basis?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
You can manage gingivitis on a daily basis through the consistent practice of good oral hygiene. You should brush and floss your teeth at least two times per day, in the morning and evening. Make sure you brush and floss for about three to five minutes each time.

You should also use a toothbrush with soft bristles that is replaced every three to four months. An electric toothbrush may be even better than a traditional one at removing plaque and tartar. An antiseptic mouth rinse and an interdental cleaner also help manage gingivitis.

Although it is the first stage of gum disease, the best news about gingivitis is that it is reversible when caught at this stage. If you have gingivitis, your gums may become red, swollen and bleed easily. You can manage gingivitis by always remembering to brush your teeth twice a day for two minutes, daily flossing and by seeing your dentist for a professional cleaning.

You should also use a toothbrush with soft bristles that is replaced every three to four months. An electric toothbrush may be even better than a traditional manual brush for removing plaque and preventing tartar build up. An antiseptic mouth rinse and an interdental cleaner also help manage gingivitis.

Continue Learning about Gingivitis