I had gestational diabetes. How soon after delivery should I get rechecked?

Vandana  R. Sheth
Six weeks after delivery would be a good time to get yourself rechecked to ensure that your blood sugar has returned to normal.

About 6-12 weeks after delivery. Like 90% of the women with gestational diabetes, your blood glucose (BG) levels will probably return to normal right after your baby is born. However, you still run the risk of developing type 2 diabetes. In fact, 5-10% of women with gestational diabetes will have type 2 by the time of this first screening.

Continue Learning about Gestational Diabetes

What You Need to Know About Gestational Diabetes
You’ve probably heard of type 1 and type 2 diabetes—and maybe even prediabetes—but did you know there’s another form of the disease that can develop d...
What causes gestational diabetes?
Changing hormones and weight gain are part of a healthy pregnancy. But both changes make it hard for...
How is gestational diabetes treated?
The primary treatment for gestational diabetes is diet. A nutritionist is consulted to work with the...
What are risk factors for gestational diabetes?
You are at greater risk for developing gestational diabetes if you are obese (have a body mass index...