I had gestational diabetes. How soon after delivery should I get rechecked?

Vandana  R. Sheth
Six weeks after delivery would be a good time to get yourself rechecked to ensure that your blood sugar has returned to normal.

About 6-12 weeks after delivery. Like 90% of the women with gestational diabetes, your blood glucose (BG) levels will probably return to normal right after your baby is born. However, you still run the risk of developing type 2 diabetes. In fact, 5-10% of women with gestational diabetes will have type 2 by the time of this first screening.

Continue Learning about Gestational Diabetes

Gestational Diabetes and the Power of Breastfeeding
When Mariah Carey developed gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) before she delivered twins in April of 2011 she hoped giving birth would put her worri...
What You Need to Know About Gestational Diabetes in Hawaii
You’ve probably heard of type 1 and type 2 diabetes—and maybe even prediabetes—but did you know there’s another form of the disease that can develop d...
How should I change my diet if I have gestational diabetes?
Melissa Joy DobbinsMelissa Joy Dobbins
If you are diagnosed with gestational diabetes, you should see a registered dietitian to help you cr...
How does low blood sugar relate to gestational diabetes?
Low blood sugar, also called hypoglycemia or low blood glucose, is a potential complication for your...