How are extracranial germ cell tumors (childhood) diagnosed?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Your doctor may order a wide array of tests to officially diagnose extracranial germ cell tumors. These tests may be grouped into various categories. In a physical exam, your doctor checks your body for unusual signs or symptoms of disease visible to the naked eye. In imaging procedures, such as X-rays, CT scans, and ultrasound exams, your doctor uses various technology to create a picture of the inside of your body to see if tumors have developed there. In blood tests, your doctor will take a sample of your blood to analyze for substances that appear only in higher amounts when you have a germ cell tumor. In tissue sample analysis, such as biopsy, immunohisochemistry study, and cytogenetic analysis, your doctor will surgically remove a piece of the tumor to determine if it is malignant (more likely to spread rapidly and cause death) or benign (not likely to become cancer).

Continue Learning about Germ Cell Cancers

How do I care for someone with germ cell tumors?
To improve your child's chances of recovery, follow the treatment schedule for extracranial germ cel...
How is a stage IV germ cell tumor treated?
A stage IV germ cell tumor has spread beyond the abdominal cavity. Treatment of a stage IV dysgermin...
Are there alternative treatments for germ cell tumors?
The term "alternative" can be problematic when discussing treatments for childhood extracranial germ...
How do I manage my germ cell tumors on a daily basis?
To improve your chances of recovery, follow your treatment schedule for your extracranial germ cell ...