How are extracranial germ cell tumors (childhood) diagnosed?

Your doctor may order a wide array of tests to officially diagnose extracranial germ cell tumors. These tests may be grouped into various categories. In a physical exam, your doctor checks your body for unusual signs or symptoms of disease visible to the naked eye. In imaging procedures, such as X-rays, CT scans, and ultrasound exams, your doctor uses various technology to create a picture of the inside of your body to see if tumors have developed there. In blood tests, your doctor will take a sample of your blood to analyze for substances that appear only in higher amounts when you have a germ cell tumor. In tissue sample analysis, such as biopsy, immunohisochemistry study, and cytogenetic analysis, your doctor will surgically remove a piece of the tumor to determine if it is malignant (more likely to spread rapidly and cause death) or benign (not likely to become cancer).

Continue Learning about Germ Cell Cancers

Are there alternative treatments for germ cell tumors?
The term "alternative" can be problematic when discussing treatments for childhood extracranial germ...
Are there side effects of germ cell tumor removal surgery?
Side effects of childhood extracranial germ cell tumor removal surgery depend on the sex of the pati...
Is anything wrong if I have a lump on my testicles, abdomen, or tailbone?
An unusual lump on your testicles, abdomen, or tailbone may be a sign of extracranial germ cell tumo...
How do I manage my germ cell tumors on a daily basis?
To improve your chances of recovery, follow your treatment schedule for your extracranial germ cell ...