When is surgery recommended for acid reflux?

Surgery is recommended for acid reflux for people who want to stop their daily medication.

We usually don't recommend surgery until a patient is unable to tolerate the excellent acid-blocking medications that are available for the treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) or at times, if the symptoms are persisting despite maximal treatment with these medications.

Continue Learning about GERD

7 Ways to Fight GERD
7 Ways to Fight GERD
Sometimes the signs of acid reflux are unmistakeable -- from searing heartburn to sour-tasting acid burbling up in your throat. Sometimes the signs ar...
Should I change my sleeping habits if I have heartburn or GERD?
American Society for Gastrointestinal EndoscopyAmerican Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
You should not eat or drink for at least two hours before going to bed. Also, propping up the head o...
How do I manage my heartburn or GERD on a daily basis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
In order to manage your gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and heartburn on a daily basis, you c...
Is Gastroesophageal Reflux (GERD) Becoming More Common?