What causes gastroesophageal reflux in children?

There appear to be several different causes of reflux. Genetics seems to be a key factor, but allergies, dietary intolerances, and other digestive disorders also may play a role. Children with asthma, cystic fibrosis, muscular or neurological problems and conditions such as Down syndrome are more likely to have GERD.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about GERD

Is it possible to have silent reflux and not realize it?
Many people who suffer from silent reflux don't know they have it. In this video, Dr. Oz holds a...
Is gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) a serious condition?
SwedishSwedish
Although gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is not considered a serious condition, its impact on...
What Is GERD?
What Is GERD?
How Long Can I Take Medications to Treat GERD?