How is acid reflux treated in children?

Some docs will prescribe meds for children suffering from reflux, but you should also try some at-home tactics to help minimize the discomfort. In infants, be sure to burp your baby frequently during feedings (every 1 to 2 ounces or every five minutes when breast-feeding if he or she is a spitty baby) and prop up your baby after meals to allow gravity to work; backwash can happen more easily when an infant is lying down flat. If you're breast-feeding, you can also help by minimizing your own consumption of gassy foods such as onions, cruciferous vegetables (for instance, cabbage and cauliflower), and dairy. With toddlers and preschoolers, try adjusting their diet to see if certain foods trigger acid.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about GERD

7 Ways to Fight GERD
7 Ways to Fight GERD
Sometimes the signs of acid reflux are unmistakeable -- from searing heartburn to sour-tasting acid burbling up in your throat. Sometimes the signs ar...
When should I call my doctor about my GERD symptoms?
When should I call my doctor about my GERD symptoms? If you have gastroesophageal reflux disease (GE...
Why does lying down make GERD worse?
When you lie down, your stomach changes position, so that there is more acid exposure on the valve s...
How Can Acid Reflux Affect My Voice?
How Can Acid Reflux Affect My Voice?