How do prokinetics treat gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)?

Lawrence S. Friedman, MD
Gastroenterology
Prokinetics -- or gastrokinetics, as they're occasionally called -- help empty the stomach of acids and fluids. They can also improve lower esophageal sphincter (LES) muscle tone. The LES is the muscle connecting the esophagus and stomach that acts as a barrier to protect the esophagus against the backflow of gastric acid from the stomach. These medications are used only for occasional cases of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), either with or in place of H2 blockers, particularly when the stomach appears to empty slowly.

Continue Learning about GERD

Health Risks of Untreated GERD
Health Risks of Untreated GERD
Heartburn occurs when digestive acid from the stomach backs up into the esophagus, the muscular tube that connects the throat to the stomach. This cau...
How safe is surgery for acid reflux?
SwedishSwedish
Despite the fact that antireflux surgery is well established and very safe, it is still a major oper...
What tests are used to diagnose gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)?
Dr. Mauri G. Lunderman, MDDr. Mauri G. Lunderman, MD
Your doctor may use endoscopy to diagnose your GERD. This procedure allows your physician to directl...
How Can Acid Reflux Affect My Voice?
How Can Acid Reflux Affect My Voice?