Why might someone with cystic fibrosis (CF) have special dietary needs?

Someone with cystic fibrosis (CF) might have special dietary needs because they don't have enough enzymes in the intestine to break up the food they eat. As a result, their bodies can't get the fuel and vitamins from their diet that they need.

The body needs fuel and vitamins to work and to grow. People get fuel from breaking down food, especially fatty food, using enzymes. People with CF can get more fuel by eating lots of foods that are high in fat and calories. They can also get enzyme replacements, nutritional and vitamin supplements.

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders and Birth Defects

Should I Consider Prenatal Testing for Genetic Disorders?
What Happens During Genetic Counseling for Genetic Disorders?
When Should I Get Genetic Counseling for Genetic Disorders?