What is Turcot syndrome?

Turcot syndrome is a rare inherited condition in which people are at increased risk of adenomatous polyps and colorectal cancer, as well as brain tumors. There are actually 2 types of Turcot syndrome:
a. One can be caused by gene changes similar to those seen in FAP, in which cases the brain tumors are medulloblastomas.
b. The other can also be caused by gene changes similar to those seen in HNPCC, in which cases the brain tumors are glioblastomas.

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders and Birth Defects

Stemming the Tide of Stem Cell Scams
Stemming the Tide of Stem Cell Scams
In April 2019, the Federal Trade Commission returned almost $515,000 to consumers who bought deceptively marketed “Amniotic Stem Cell Therapy” between...
How long does it take to recover after a stem cell transplant?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
It can take between three months and one year to recover from a stem cell transplant. During this ti...
How are babies tested for cystic fibrosis (CF)?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Babies are tested for cystic fibrosis (CF) by looking for a cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductanc...
Should I Consider Prenatal Testing for Genetic Disorders?