What is a spontaneous genetic mutation?

A mutation can either be inherited from a parent or may arise in an affected person for the first time -- this is called a spontaneous or new mutation. However, the spontaneous mutation typically occurs at such an early stage of development that it is present in all the cells, including sperm and egg cells. This means that the mutation can then be passed to future generations. If the mutation occurs later in development it may not be present in all the cells -- this is called mosaicism. The risks to future generations are less clear in these situations.

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders and Birth Defects

Stem Cells, Worth the Wait
Stem Cells, Worth the Wait
Headlines call it a miracle: In the well-respected medical journal, The Lancet, Canadian researchers reported that 23 people with debilitating multipl...
What is a medical geneticist?
A medical geneticist is a medical doctor (MD) or a doctor of osteopathy (DO) who specializes in medi...
How does cystic fibrosis (CF) affect the lungs?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
With cystic fibrosis (CF), thick and sticky mucus in the lungs means that they are unable to work li...
When Should I Get Genetic Counseling for Genetic Disorders?