What is cystic fibrosis?

Cystic fibrosis is a hereditary metabolic disorder characterized by abnormal production of thick mucus. It primarily affects the pancreas and respiratory system and results in chronic infection.It’s estimated that 2,500 babies are born with cystic fibrosis each year and that more than 30,000 children and young adults in the United States currently have it.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders and Birth Defects

Stem Cells, Worth the Wait
Stem Cells, Worth the Wait
Headlines call it a miracle: In the well-respected medical journal, The Lancet, Canadian researchers reported that 23 people with debilitating multipl...
When Should I Get Genetic Counseling for Genetic Disorders?
What Happens During Genetic Counseling for Genetic Disorders?
Should I Consider Prenatal Testing for Genetic Disorders?