How much DNA is in every human body?

Each cell in the human body contains about 2 meters of DNA that's packed into a tiny nucleus that's only about 5 micrometers in diameter. That's the rough equivalent of stuffing 2,000 miles of sewing thread into a space the size of a tennis ball. As with thread, DNA is wound around spools of proteins called histones. Not all of your DNA gets expressed in every cell; in fact, most of the spools in each cell are stored away, some of which never will be seen or heard of again.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders and Birth Defects

Stem Cells, Worth the Wait
Stem Cells, Worth the Wait
Headlines call it a miracle: In the well-respected medical journal, The Lancet, Canadian researchers reported that 23 people with debilitating multipl...
Why is it so difficult to find a donor for a stem cell transplant?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
It can be difficult to find a donor for a stem cell transplant because not all stem cells are the sa...
What causes cystic fibrosis (CF)?
Cystic fibrosisis a metabolic disorder that’s passed on from parent to child. It’s seen mostly in Ca...
What Happens During Genetic Counseling for Genetic Disorders?